Thursday, January 27, 2011

The Beginning

Of the blog, at least.

It has been suggested to journal while working on the project. This is a new experience for me - journalling something specific, not knitting or blogging in general. :) So, I thought, why not? I'm not too old of a dog to learn new tricks. ;)

So, I am to post about the good, the bad, and the ugly while working on the cape.

Even though my process started in November or December some time, and it is now the end of January, I'll try to "back post" my feelings.

I first heard about the KAL (Knit A Long) in one of the Yahoo Groups that I am in. Someone mentioned they'd be doing the year-long KAL to create a cape based on some Celtic themes. I had to check it out for myself for several reasons.

1) Breaking it up into a year long project means less chance of getting bored - I'd be able to put it down between sessions and work on other projects, of which I likely have too many.
2) My British heritage - I'm first generation Canadian; my siblings and parents came here just a few years before I was born. Though not Irish, it's close enough for me ;)
3) I love the look of Celtic knot-work, and the way it is interpreted in cable knitting.
4) I love cable knitting. I'd always been intrigued when my mother would knit a cabled project. I never really watched how she did it, but was amazed at how the knitting twisted around itself. I thought it was like magic! When I finally sat down and knit my first cable, I was almost disappointed in the simplicity - but fell in love with them all over again :)
5) I'm always up for a challenge; love to try new things (top down hooded cape), and love to continue to learn and stretch my knitting skills and my brain.

So, I wandered over to Ravelry, and signed up. I'm meeting all kinds of new people, and sharing a few laughs with them already. I do so love the internet, and the opportunity to make new friends around the world. Some of my best friends have been made this way. Sure, some of them, I've never seen in person. But life has a way... I have been able to do a little bit of traveling to meet some of my online friends face to face - so, who knows what the future will bring? I just might get to see some of my new friends one day :)

I selected my yarn based on weight (aran/worsted), price (lot of yardage needed) and availability (had to find at my LYS - quite a challenge, as they seem to be focusing on novelty yarns instead of any of the basic staples). I selected a yarn I've worked with on many occasions, and love - Briggs & Little Regal. Colour was harder to choose - I wanted something neutral, something that would go with just about everything. White would have worked - but, a cape? I wanted something that wouldn't need constant washing. White + 2 dogs + 2 cats = probably would never wear it. Instead, I went with light grey.










I have some of it wound and all ready to go - but I'm not starting yet. We were given a sample chart for a part of the cable - to use to see if we would have any trouble with reading charts or knitting, and to use as a sort of swatch. Well, I didn't get started, because I just don't have any free time at the moment... I do have a little, but spend it on the computer instead of knitting. I know, I know. But, I am getting ready to go on a trip, and I will be taking this project, along with a few others, with me. And I'd rather take them "fresh", rather than "on the needle". I'm sure some will be coming home that way, I probably over-packed, but better that than being without something to do. So. Turned out that the "swatch" would be evolved into a part of the hood. And then the hood pattern was released :) So, here I am, itching to knit, itching to start, but holding back...

No comments:

Post a Comment