Monday, March 28, 2011

Over thinking, worrying, losing touch, losing in general

Over thinking: I think I've done this with the hood. I am not enjoying the knit the way I should, because I'm too busy thinking about how I'm going to do the next part. Stocking stitch, or basket weave? I'm not sure I want it to be too busy with lots of patterning, yet the pics I've seen so far don't seem to be too much pattern. I am not sure I want it too plain, either. I've seen some that are done with a combination - a basket weave band part way along the hood, for example. I think I recall either seeing or reading that someone was going to start with the basket weave, then "fade" to stocking stitch. I think that is the route I may take.... I know I want the angels in the back - one because I like them, and two because I don't want a pointy style hood.

Worrying: I'm worrying about the length of the facing. I have four repeats done. I am not sure if I am going to have too floppy of a hood if I make five, but I know it will be too tight if I don't. I mean, sure, blocked and a little stretched, it will work. But, putting the hood up or down will turn my hair into a static-y tangled mess. Too loose and floppy, though, and it won't keep my head/ears warm, rendering it relatively pointless. I headed over to Ravelry last night, and found some photos of finished hoods. I really appreciated the people who took pics with it on their head, so that I could get an idea how long the facing should be. So, I think I'm going to do five repeats, and leave it at that.

Losing Touch: With being away, then doing some catch up at home, I am way behind in reading the Ravelry posts for the Cape KAL, and for my team (Yay, Ulster). I know that there are probably just a lot of chatter posts that I don't *need* to read, but still, I feel out of the loop. And behind, what with still knitting on the facing, which so many others finished two months ago. I know, it isn't a race, and I know some of my need to be a part of things is where my unease is coming from. I really need to work on that last bit. Part of my whole packrattyness, borderline hoarding, insecurity. I know I should be letting go more - I often remind myself, when my emails get so far behind, that I have lived this long without knowing the content of the emails so I should just delete them and start fresh. Just like with clearing out some of my stuff at home, it works for a while, then I seem to reach a threshold where I cannot toss another thing. Often, if I do try to force myself to go just a little further, one more box, or even finish off the box I'm working on, or the emails, or whatever - that extra push causes me to revert, and "rescue" some of the things in the "to go" pile... *sigh*.

So, yeah, this blog is more than just a report on progress, it is a report on feelings that happen while I'm working on the cape. Well, these are some of the feelings that are surfacing right now.

Losing in General: I seem to have misplaced my cord for downloading from my camera... So, I have taken a few pictures, but can't post them just yet. I am not sure if I put it back into the suitcase/bag that I used to carry the craft stuff on the trip, or if I put it away where it belongs, or if I stuck it in a different spot.... I haven't had much chance to look in depth just yet - I briefly glanced into the bag, and in the potential different spot... Hopefully, I get around to looking for it today. :)

1 comment:

  1. I can't wait to see some pictures of your progress on that cape. I am intending to make one myself, waist-length and without a hood, as a gift for my mother to keep her warm around the house in the winter, :) I have a lot of ideas on how I want to make it, but I am far from having an actual game plan. By the way, I love your blog. I find myself agreeing quite often that I have had similar thoughts about things in general myself. :)

    ReplyDelete